Wednesday, November 16, 2011

New Favorite Things

Alrighty-- in no particular order... here are a few of my new favorite things.

Number one.  Chocolatey Mint tea from Superstore.  I drink coffee all morning long (caffeine needed in a bad way).  In the afternoon I switch to drinking tea.  During the cold rainy season you've gotta have a mug of something hot nearby to survive.


Number two.  

Baking soda + vinegar mixed with food coloring + eye dropper + a four year old = an hour of fun

Got the idea from here.

Sidenote-- in no way was this activity a teachable "scientific" moment in our house-- it was done strictly to have fun, make a mess, and occupy my four year old so that I would have some measure of sanity between the hour of 4 to 5 pm.  And if I'm being completely honest-- I really couldn't explain why the vinegar made the baking soda all "fizzy" and such anyways.

But look at how much fun it was...


Number three.  I got my hair cut and moved into stage four of my post pregnancy hair.  Are you not familiar with the four stages?  Let me enlighten you.

Stage one:  crazy, crazy, amounts of hair.  It's a good thing I don't leave the house in the weeks following the birth of a baby because it literally takes me half an hour to blow dry.

Stage two:  shed fest.... buying Drain-o in bulk... I start texting my hairdresser pictures of the hair balls I pull out of the shower drain with messages saying "is this normal?"  "does this look right to you?".  Seriously-- I lose an insane amount of hair. 

Stage three:  regrowth.  worst. stage. ever.  Half of my hair is one length... the other half is an inch or two long.  I spend my days trying to hide my new set of mini bangs and nasty sideburns.

Stage four:  I finally break down and get bangs cut to hide the mini bangs.

I am now at stage four... hence the bangs.

Wow, that is a really really big close up picture of my head.  Kinda wish I had taken a picture of my haircut the day it was done-- not the unwashed bed head I decided to leave the house with three days later.


Number four.  Taking the kids to Chapters.

Starbucks, book browsing, and a fantastic selection of awesome home accessories = fun for me.  Trains, toys, kids books = fun for the kids.  It really is a win win situation for us all.


I'm thinking I'm going to do most of my Christmas shopping here this year...


And that my friends-- concludes today's list of favorite new things.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

Thank you for the out loud laugh at the four stages of post-pregnancy hair. I SO get it. I recall the nasty scads of hair lost in the months post-delivery. Unfortunately for those in my household, it meant gross hairballs on the edge of the tub that I didn't always toss in the trash immediately after showering. Bahahaha. So gross.

And oh...the 2" 'fuzz' is ridiculous. I have a widows peak with a cowlick (can one get their hairline lasered?!?!) and the 2" fly aways are driving me nuts. I often pull them out in a fit of frustration, only to be faced with the same problem months later.

Me + bangs = not friends...no way out for this girl. But you, on the other hand, are rocking it!

kelly ens said...

if that's your bedhead, seriously. the bangs look great!

Elissa said...

oh my word Sabrina-- a cowlick and widow's peak + mini bangs WOULD be dreadful! I must say though-- that the mini bangs and flyaways are not nearly as terrible as the mini sideburns-- there was much cheering and fist pumps on the day I could finally tuck them behind my ears!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I am stage 4 too! This morning I was trying to hide my mini bangs under my over grown, haven't been cut in almost 6 months, regular bangs! So frustrating. I thought I was the only one. So thank you for making me feel less alone in this ridiculous stage and giving me a good laugh!

Dan and Lynn said...

Thanks for the four year old entertainment idea! I showed Ethan the picture of Caleb, and now he's excited to try out that activity:). As for the hair, I definitely understand the four stages...I just started stage 2, which I've been dreading since before Jackson was born:(. However, you look GREAT in your "stage 4" haircut!

Bonnie said...

You're gorgeous. LOVE the bangs. 'Nuff said.
Annnd.... your new favorite things look very worthy of favoritism. :)

Flowers2boys said...

your post was the best ever!
i love the four stages... so get that... now is it normal to still be is stage four when your baby is not a baby anymore??
lovin the bangs - i wish i had bedhead like that, mine resembles more or a lion mane! (picture those two inch hairs mixed with 24" hairs - not pretty)
side-note: kelsie-lynn your raven mane is looking amazing these days! your gorgeous