Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Best Deal of All...

Remember my rant about the light fixtures in our house?  Remember when I showed you that amazing light fixture from Restoration Hardware that was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY out of my budget?  Well it still is... unless you manage to find it at the Restoration Hardware outlet and have a husband who loves to get a good deal!  Check out my dining room now...


So over the past year I have been scouring local stores and every possible online store for a cheap-o version of the $500 RH light.  No luck.  They were either too small, still too expensive, or not the same finish. So sad.  Then we went to the Seattle outlets over the weekend and on the shelf, still in the box-- I find it. There is no price tag on it... so I decide to not get excited and start overreacting.  I casually call Doug over to show him my find.  He knows all about this light I've been eyeing... trust me :)  And really, he liked it too.  Excited to try to get a deal, Doug stops one of the guys working at the store and asks what the price is.  RH guy goes to do a bit of research and comes back with a price... 60% off the original price tag taking it down to $210.  At this point I've decided that I'm going to have to walk away... the price is close to what we would be willing to pay, but not close enough.  It needed to be below the $200 mark for us to consider.  Then Doug informs RH guy that the price is not good enough... he asks for more of a discount.  Conversation goes like this:

Doug:         You've got to do better than that.
RH guy:     Do you play in the NBA?
Doug:         No.
RH guy:     Yeah you do.  I'll give it to you for another 15% off the reduced price.

SOLD!  I guess it pays to be tall.

So after taxes (we didn't have to pay duty) the light ended up being around $190... which is pretty darn close to the price tag on the light fixture I was considering at Home Depot here in town.  Hopefully I'll be able to sell the old fixture on craigslist for a couple of bucks to make the end price tag even better.


I am IN LOVE with my new light fixture... which, if you've read my light fixture rant you'd understand why I wanted to LOVE my dining room light.  While it's not as good of a deal as my $2.50 light fixture from MCC (still figuring out where to put that one) it's definitely my favorite deal!

7 comments:

kelly ens said...

fantastic. maybe i should send my equally-tall husband places, claiming he plays for the NBA :)

Erica said...

that's fantastic! I love when store employees are actually on the customer's side of the bottom line. good work Doug!

Gord and Andrea said...

this is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Congratulations on getting the most beautiful light ever for the greatest price :) it looks amazing.
Andrea

Bonnie said...

It.looks.AMAZING!!!! Yeah for RH deals! Gorgeous.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

It looks amazing! So happy for you. Now could you come decorate my house :)

Melissa said...

I love the rush from getting something you've been eyeing for a steal of a deal! Well done! You make us bargain hunters proud!

Jamie said...

It looks SO great in there.
Way to go Tall Boy.